The Douglas DC-3 twin-engine propeller aircraft first took off in 1935, at a time when Breitling was supplying civilian and military planes with its first onboard chronographs. Thanks to its peerless performances, its sturdiness, its low fuel consumption and its long-range capabilities, it revolutionized the world of air transport by enabling for the first time reliable and profitable commercial flights with a minimum of stop-overs. At the end of 1930s, most of the major American and European companies were equipped with this model. During World War II, the DC-3 - particularly in its Dakota version - played a key role in troop transport. Nicknamed "the landing plane", it experienced its moment of fame in June 1944 by serving to tow countless gliders and dropping thousands of paratroopers on the coasts of Normandy. General Eisenhower even paid it a glowing tribute by defining it as one of the four "pillars" of the victory in Africa and in Europe. The DC-3 HB-IRJ flying the Breitling colors was produced in 1940 for American Airlines. Despite clocking up 75,000 flight hours, it has been maintained in exceptionally good condition. Purchased in the United States and restored in Miami, it was then transported to Europe, where it takes part in various aviation events. Thanks to its perfectly equipped cabin, it can be used at Buochs for passenger flights.